Just because you’re away from home doesn’t’ mean you have to forget to choose healthy food options.
I’ve been to enough hockey tournaments and eaten at enough restaurants during travels to know that the options can often be slim, and when you’ve got growing, hungry boys to feed you can get stuck making less desirable choices.
So now I prepare! It’s not difficult to pull together simple and nutritious meals. It’s always about choices and priorities, and yes, a little bit of planning.
Although we did eat some meals out, and I have teenage boys who really love their pizza, subway, (and some other junk I’d rather not think about) thankfully they do appreciate that nutrition matters and will oblige my nagging about healthy choices.
Given that most hotel rooms only have a small fridge, and making meals in a hotel room are limited, here’s what I bring that has given us some options:
- Electric tea kettle (brilliant for boiling water for tea, coffee, oatmeal, soups)
- Hard boiled eggs
- Packs of instant oatmeal
- Tea, my favourite coffee (and ok I’ll admit, I brought my French press too! I am particular about good coffee)
- Basic salad dressing (3TBSP olive oil, 3TBSP apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, chopped garlic, squeeze of lemon)
- Salad greens (any mix you prefer, I like the baby kale or arugula)
- Coconut yogurt
- Orange juice
- Hummus (usually I make my own but store-bought can work!)
- Apples, bananas
- Popcorn, tortilla chips (we need snacks!)
Your food choices matter! Especially for growing children!
In addition to chiropractic care and daily activity, food is a huge contributor to how you feel and function everyday. Check out this blog post about my basics about what to eat for good health.