It’s highly unlikely we’ll give them any medication or rush them to a walk-in clinic. Instead, we honour the innate wisdom of the body and it’s power to heal from the inside-out.
Each illness a child experiences helps to strengthen and enhance their natural immunity. Rather than suppress their symptoms we encourage the immune system to process the bacteria or virus as effectively as possible by supporting cellular function.
My sons are 12 and 8 years old, and have never had any medication whatsoever. Do they get sick sometimes? Of course they do, but at a much lower frequency than many of their peers. They eat really well, get plenty of rest, are active, happy, and get adjusted regularly!
When they get a cough, cold or some congestion, this is what I do:
– Adjustments to correct spinal subluxations to remove nerve interference (daily).
– Encourage added sleep and rest.
– Keep them home from school until they have no fever and their energy is back.
– Supplementation with vitamin C, vitamin D, and a high quality multi vitamin.
– Eliminate all refined sugars and dairy products from their diet, keep foods simple and nourishing.
– Offer increased fluids, nutrient-dense smoothies, and warm herbal teas.
– Mix some olive oil with a few drops of the essential oils of tea tree and eucalyptus, rub into their chest and under their collar bones to encourage drainage of the lymph glands in those regions.
– Offer natural raw honey to soothe the throat.
– Have them gargle with salt water (1/4 tsp sea salt with 1/2 cup water) to flush bacteria out of the mouth and to ease discomfort in the throat.
– Offer lots of love, comfort, and reassurance!
I’ve also found that illness is always a great teaching moment with them. Helping them understand how their bodies work, what is happening when they have a fever, and are coughing/sneezing, and what their body needs to feel and function well is a lesson that everyone needs!
This approach has never failed us, and I am confident that their developing brains and bodies are stronger for it. Next time your children are ill, consider supporting their body naturally, and working with health professionals who can help you along the way.
Disclaimer: Chiropractic care supports overall health and healing, but is not a cure or treatment for illness in children.